Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Microwave Dyeing Question & A Video Tutorial



Wanda, thank you for the video. I know you do a lot of dying via the microwave. I was told yesterday that doing it via the microwave you end up cooking your wool. Would you mind providing me with your comments?


Dear Welcome Mat member,

You ask such a good thing this morning I might have to add it to my public blog. ( see?)
I don't really do a lot of dyeing in my microwave but I do use it for small samples,my RHM work and my weekly ( recipe rich using all 3 main dye companies)  dyeing column for the Welcome Mat. I also use it to heat up dye to aid dissolving when needed. I think it is a useful tool for people who are not doing production dyeing. 
On a happy note I can certainly tell you after dyeing hundreds of yards of all kinds of wool fabric over 15 years of dyeing seriously, the wool as a finished product dyed in the microwave is indistinguishable from that done in the oven, stove top, b-b-q, over campfire, hotplate, crock pot, electric frying pan or wok. I've tried them all!!! 
I'm an explorer and as I explore I take you along for the ride. You can just sit in the car along the way or get out and touch the giant ball of string or gargantuan goose or look over the edge of that canyon with me. It's all up to you.
I think the best thing I can tell you when you hear varying opinions of so called experts: Don't substitute your intelligence for that of someone else's. Try it out and test the results for yourself.



I like to think of this quote ..... often .....

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. 

signed Buddha.



++++++++++++

This month in Rug Hooking my article is about microwave dyeing. I show you various dye methods we are mostly familiar with but using the microwave as the heat source. Here is a video demonstrating transitional dyeing via the microwave with the added interest of the echo, Michele Micarelli taught me that! Getting more wool coloured for the same amount of effort - divine!


Also someone noted in a letter yesterday I neglected to mention which dyes I used. I don't have a copy yet so I don't know but just in case  .... I used Majic Carpet dyes but truly you can use any dyes you have and love with these methods as long as they are for wool!

I just got this shining accolade about my article yesterday, turning someone on about dyeing, more precious to me than kittens sleeping in a pile or a truckload of wool. 

The other article I wanted to comment on was the microwave dyeing article.  I am a 'chicken dyer'.  When I saw the platter, and the glass measuring cup I had a 'duh' moment.  I was so excited I picked up my iPad and logged on to watch the video.  It was excellent.  Thanks.
So, I heartily urge you to provide more videos.  And thanks for the modern approach as well as the traditional methods of rug hooking.


For your edification there are many videos on dyeing in the microwave I just discovered this morning on youtube, go and discover.
Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment